AdBlock is one of the most popular browser extension that prevents ads or annoying page elements those are usually displayed in any webpage. It works by matching the pattern of unwanted elements in the page with what is available in its database and filters them.
Adblock can be made more efficient by adding custom patterns for the elements to be filtered.. This feature of AdBlock can be extended to block not only the ads but also the malicious content those are injected in seemingly genuine sites. This is done by adding MalwareDomains subscription to our Adblock preferences. MalwareDomain contains a list of domains that are known to be used to propagate malware and spyware. Adblock verifies whether there are any cross domain content loaded from any of malicious websites present in that list and if there is, then it blocks those elements.
Note: Subscribing to this list can increase the load time of the site. Increase in security at the cost of slight reduction in performance.
Here, we illustrate the steps to add the MalwareDomain list to our Adblock addon available for Chrome and Firefox browsers.
I. Adding MalwareDomain Subscription in Chrome
Download Adblock for Chrome here.
1. Access the AdBlock Options from the Chrome Extensions page and add MalwareDomains URL (http://malwaredomains.lanik.us/malwaredomains_full.txt)
2. Entered URL will now display in the subscriptions list. Make sure that its checked.
II. Adding MalwareDomain Subscription in Firefox
Download AdBlock Plus for Firefox here.
1. Open the Adblock Plus Preferences and click on the ‘Add Filter Subscription’ from the Filters menu.
2. Click on ‘Add a different subscription’ link.
3. Add the MalwareDomains URL in the subscription entry (http://malwaredomains.lanik.us/malwaredomains_full.txt)
4. List of domains to be filtered will be displayed under the filter which we have newly subscribed. Make sure that its enabled.
|MalwareDomains Subscription List Info
||MalwareDomains Subscription List